America, France and sizzling hipster favourite Australia have been revealed as the top destinations to kick start a year abroad.
The study by Gatwick airport, uncovered 60% of the top 10 destinations for a gap year are far flung, with the most in vogue unsurprisingly being the USA, Australia, Thailand and India.
Japan, meanwhile, is a new favourite this year, having not made the top 10 in the last five years.
If you’re planning a gap year abroad – or trip over the next 12-months, you can view our pick of the best flight deals this year below – starting from £24.99 to Paris. We’ve also thrown in some summer 2016 deals – ideal for the family.
For late deals – and winter sun, here are our favourite last minute deals. For more ways to save on your break, see our cheap holidays guides.
5 last minute holiday deals
Long haul getaways
- Toronto & New York – Book by July 31 to grab this five-night room-only Hayes & Jarvis trip in February 2017 from £599pp. It includes Heathrow flights, connecting flights, two nights at Toronto’s Courtyard Hotel and three nights at New York’s Paramount Hotel.
- Thailand – The Old Phuket Karon Beach resort is close to the beach and has a vast swimming pool. A seven-night B&B deal costs £595pp for Gatwick departures September 1 to October 31.
- Orlando – Get 14 nights room only at the three-star Ramada Gateway in Kissimmee close to the Disney parks, from £649pp. Flights depart from Gatwick on August 24.
- Alicante – Escape for three nights’ B&B at the three-star NH Rambla de Alicante from £250pp, flying from Newcastle on July 26.
- Italy – Contiki has cut £280 off the cost of its eight-day Italian Espresso tour for 18 to 35-year-olds. Travelling by coach from London, you’ll visit Rome, Florence and Venice, for £655pp. Hotel B&B, three dinners and all sightseeing is included, departing July 30.
Valencia – Visit this pretty Spanish resort and get a city & beach break in one,from £199pp. Flying from East Midlands on July 30, you stay four nights room-only at the four-star Senator Parque Central Hotel.